What to Do Before, During, and After a Flood: Commercial Damage Restoration Tips
Blog Summary: The friendly experts at SERVPRO of Lake Travis / NW Austin offer simple tips for business owners to minimize or prevent water damage through steps taken before, during, and after flooding.
Bad weather and plumbing problems are the most common causes of commercial water damage. However, regardless of the cause, there are ways to keep the property damage to a minimum and restore a property fast. The experts at SERVPRO of Lake Travis / NW Austin, a leading local commercial damage restoration company, recommend business owners take the following steps before, during, and after flooding:
Commercial Damage Restoration Tips: Before, During, and After Flooding
Before a Flood
For businesses located in flood-prone areas, preemptive measures are the best way to minimize damage. Consider steps such as:
- Installing a Sump Pump: A sump pump is a device installed in the lowest part of a building. If a flood occurs, the device will activate and pump water out, reducing the risk of more extensive water damage. Sump pumps should also be tested about once per year.
- Getting Flood Insurance: Most commercial property insurers don’t cover commercial water damage without a special rider. While this rider often comes at a high cost, it’s well worth the expense for commercial properties in high-risk areas. The National Flood Insurance Program can also be an excellent resource.
- Identifying Local Water Restoration Companies: Find nearby water damage restoration contractors that offer 24/7 emergency services. That way, should a flood occur, no time is wasted finding the right emergency commercial damage restoration company for the job.
During a Flood
During a flood, use these tips to keep water damage and danger to a minimum:
- Shut Off the Water Supply: If the flood is due to a burst pipe or other plumbing issues, turn off the main water supply to stop more water from entering your building. Likewise, call a plumber to repair the burst pipe.
- Evacuate the Building: If the flood is due to heavy rains, try to evacuate the building before the water rises. Alternatively, move everyone to a higher floor and out of the floodwater.
- Turn Off the Power: Wires, sockets, and appliances exposed to floodwater can lead to electrocution and fires. Avoid such outcomes by turning off the power.
After a Flood
After a flood, it’s vital to call a reputable commercial restoration company as soon as possible. Delaying water cleanup can lead to mold growth. After that, make sure to notify any employees of the damage/closure to minimize foot traffic in the building and ensure the restoration team has plenty of room to work.
While waiting for the restoration team to arrive, don’t forget to take pictures of any damage. These photographs will serve as evidence for the insurance claim process. In cases, providing proof of the cause of the water damage and when it occurred can be crucial to a successful claim. An experienced water damage restoration company can also help handle documentation.
About SERVPRO of Lake Travis / NW Austin
SERVPRO of Lake Travis / NW Austin is a top provider of water, storm, and fire restoration services as well as mold removal and commercial cleaning.
To learn more about their services in Leander, TX, or the commercial damage restoration process, follow them on Facebook, call (512) 318-2202, or visit their office in person at 6500 River Place Blvd, Building 7 - Ste 250, Austin, TX 78730